Left to right, students Andrew Wharton, Nathan Murphy and Daniel Obichie won a gold medal at the State SkillsUSA Conference in April 2016. They followed that success by winning a bronze medal in June at SkillsUSA Nationals in Louisville, Kentucky. These talented, industrious students now rank among the three best high school Engineering teams in the nation. We warmly congratulate them and their dedicated teachers, Dr. Michael Meyers and Mr. Dan Hamill. Photo by Joann Murphy.
Link to story from Patriot Ledger May 17, 2016
SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers and industry working together to ensure America has a skilled work force. SkillsUSA is a national non-profit organization for students in career and technical high schools and colleges. It was formerly known as VICA (Vocational Industrial Clubs of America).
Important Facts About SkillsUSA
- More than 300,00 students, teachers and administrators join annually
- Massachusetts will boast over 28,000 members in 2011
- The mission of SkillsUSA is to help its members become world-class workers, leaders and responsible Americans.
- Industry partners include Lowe’s, Bosch, Georgia-Pacific, Kobalt, Timberland, Stanley, to name a few
- SkillsUSA programs include local, district, state and national competitions in more than 95 different trade, technical and leadership fields.
- The national championships are held each June as a multi-million dollar event that occupies space equivalent to more than 16 football fields with more than 5,600 outstanding vocational students competing for Gold, Silver and Bronze medals.
SkillsUSA at Blue Hills Regional Tech
The Blue Hills SkillsUSA Chapter Advisor is Mr. Robert Foley.
Students at Blue Hills are enrolled as members each year. The school is a 100% chapter which allows all students to become involved in the many activities the chapter is involved with.
Massachusetts has overtaken Ohio as the #1 membership in the country.
Activities the students excel at include:
- Competing in local, district, state and national championships
- Attending the Fall State Leadership Conference to become stronger leaders at Blue Hills and for their future
- Campaigning for State Officer positions. Blue Hills has had several former students elected as State Officers.
- Student Advisory Council for the State Conference and Championship
- Winner of the Gold Standard for the Costello Community Service Award
- State Advisor of the Year 2009-2010 was Chapter Advisor Mrs. Carol Hartnett
- State Voting Delegates
- National Voting Delegates
- Fundraise for the Doug Flutie, Jr. Autism Foundation